Boutique luxury hotel accommodations in Vancouver's upscale Yaletown district, with full catering and meeting facilities.

Friday, December 29, 2006

Together at last


It’s December 29 and I’m feeling sorry for myself because for weeks now, while friends and colleagues in the industry have been stumbling from one holiday party to another in a boozy haze, I’ve never been busier. While they've been Christmas shopping during work hours, I've been shopping for a director of food & beverage. And while they've been inventing all sorts of excuses for coming in late and leaving early, I’ve been coming in early and leaving late. You get the idea. I’m bitter.

I was whining about this to my Mom over dinner last night, likely boring her to tears, and she basically told me to get over myself. Did I think being a general manager would be a walk in the park? I really hate it when she’s right. Problem is, I’ve never been fully convinced I want to be a hotel manager. Right now folding sweaters at the Gap or greeting at Walmart is sounding pretty appealing. I’ve always been in the hotel industry a bit grudgingly, convinced that another career is out there for me, one with more pay, less hours and frequent trips to Tahiti. Don’t get me wrong, I love my job. LOVE IT. But would I want to be a general manager anywhere but Opus? Probably not.

Normally things settle down for me this time of year and I'm one of those irritating people drifting around in a boozy haze. But recently my job got a lot bigger. I’ve assumed responsibility for Elixir and Opus Bar. When Opus opened four years ago the hotel and the restaurant/lounge were set up as separate companies, and I joined the hotel side. The ownership wanted to avoid the dreaded curse of hotel restaurants: bad food, inflated prices and poor financial performance that sucks the life out of the more profitable rooms division. So Elixir was given its own identity, its own entrance and a brasserie concept that contrasted with the hotel's contemporary style. Things have worked out well for the most part, and Elixir and Opus Bar are popular with locals and guests alike. But there have been internal challenges and problems with consistency. For me it's been frustrating not to have control over food and beverage, but at the same time it’s allowed me to focus all my attention on the hotel. All that will change now that we’re one big family.

When Elixir staff first heard I was getting involved they were nervous. I guess someone told them about my days as a waiter in Toronto when I was in my early twenties. I had two waiter jobs, one in a fine-dining restaurant and the other in a nightclub on ladies’ nights. My specialty was spilling drinks, usually on people, like the cold glass of milk I dumped down an elderly woman’s back and all over her fur coat. She screamed so loud everyone ran over to look. I was so embarrassed and apologetic that she felt sorry for me and gave me an enormous tip. At the nightclub I didn’t fare as well with spills. The ladies wanted my scrawny butt out of the way so they could see the big, buff strippers. Now that Elixir staff know I won’t be waiting on tables, they’re very supportive of the change.

Present position excluded, serving tables is the most stressful job I’ve ever had. Anyone who scrimps on the tip after receiving good service should be forced to spend a day as a server. I still have a recurring nightmare in which I have a section full of hungry, angry guests and the kitchen is totally backed up. It’s like those university dreams where you show up for an exam and realize you never attended class. (Other people have those dreams too, right? It's not just me?)

Once I get a director of food and beverage in place the workload should ease up. I’m really excited about working with our management team to provide a seamlessly brilliant experience in Elixir, Opus Bar and Opus Hotel in 2007. Stay tuned, and swing by.

One last note. Condé Nast Traveler’s 2007 Gold List is out and once again Opus has been recognized as one of the top hotels in the world. What’s also cool is the write-up tells readers to “check out the general manager’s irreverent blog”. Thanks for the plug, CNT.

Wishing all of you a very happy new year! Hope to see you at Opus soon.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Maple Guy said...

If only I could move the clock 5 years, I'd nearly kill, or cook, for the opportunity to be the Opus Director of F&B. Alas there is much to learn between now and my first directorship.
I'm very curious to see how the integration unfolds, please keep your readers in the loop.
Best of luck with the future wandering around in a drunken haze, and your new project.

7:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Sir,
yor post r really something i as a sstudent can learn from.I went through them and its quite intresting.I wanted to also get in touch with you so i can be like you.Just to tel u about me My name is Daniel. I am from India, Mumbai. but doing my On campus U.K degree in Singapore.I am very much intrested and hae a dream to work and settel in Canada.i am studing Bachelors in Internatinal Hospitality and Tourism.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
Daniel.

Mail id -- silverstudpearl@rediffmail.com

4:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Dan,
I am doing my second year degree in Sigapore i wann do my final year in Canda, i m in Doing my degree in Hospitality and Tourism, Can u pls guide me..

Regards,
Daniel.

8:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came to your blog recently so this particular corpse is pretty stiff ... but I'd be interested to hear your comments on the "in house" or "contract out" restaurant question ...

8:54 PM

 
Blogger Daniel Edward Craig said...

Roger, that's a loaded question. There are advantages - and disadvantages - to both. In my opinion the best scenario is for a hotel to run its own restaurant. You have much more control of staffing, service, quality and branding. Independent restaurauteurs tend to resent the need to offer room service, breakfast service & banquets, all of which tend to be money-losing services. It's only recently that outside companies have started successfully managing hotel restaurants, but these guys tend to be very experienced and savvy. As for Opus, we're very happy to be running our own F&B.

5:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home